Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Permatang Pauh : Mohd Noor Kamil's arrest as being politically motivated

Source : Malaysiakini

A PKR division leader was arrested this afternoon in connection with the assault of two press photographers in Permatang Pauh last Saturday.


nst journalist reporter photographer attacked in permatang pauh 170808Mohd Noor Kamil Abd Samad, 39, was detained when he went to the Sentul police district headquarters at about 2.30pm after seeing his photograph in the newspapers today.

The police had released a series of photographs of those suspected to be involved in the assault of New Straits Times photographer Mohamad Sairien Nafis and French photojournalist Halim Berbar.

The PKR Batu division deputy chief's photo was among those released to the media, along with a statement that he was being sought to facilitate investigations.

According to his lawyer Ngeow Chow Ying, Mohd Noor Kamil went to the police station voluntarily after consulting party leaders.

"He is ready to cooperate fully with the police and wants his account of the incident documented by the police," she said.

'He was protecting them'

Meanwhile, PKR Information chief Tian Chua slammed Mohd Noor Kamil's arrest as being politically motivated.

The Batu MP said it was aimed at tarnishing the party's image as it goes head to head with the ruling Barisan Nasional coalition in the Permatang Pauh by-election.

tian chua 02"This is obviously connected to our election campaign in Permatang Pauh… this is an attempt to smear our campaign," he told Malaysiakini.

He said Mohd Noor Kamil was just trying to stop the mob of people from hurting a local press photographer and a French photojournalist who were both covering the campaign in the northern town.

"I told him to go the police station to report that he (was protecting the journalists) when we saw his pictures alongside others released by the police. So he went to give in his report and he was arrested straightaway," he added.

Both photographers had claimed that they were assaulted by some PKR supporters during a campaign event over the weekend. The NST photographer also claimed that he lost a RM15,000 digital camera during the fracas.

Police have since confirmed that three people have been arrested in connection with the case.